Greetings!

How are you today? Life's good?

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Roadside stalls in Bangkok












On my trip, I was impressed by what I saw of the Thais. They came out of nowhere and I'm not sure where they are going but they carry bags and bags of goods (obviously for sale) and hurrying to I also don't know where. It strikes me that these people are very hardworking. Roadside stalls are everywhere. As long as your stomach can take it, there's plenty of food along the street. Barbecued pork belly, tongue, stomach, intestine, etc are almost everywhere. A plate of seafood salad costs about 30 baht.

I was at the Sala Daeng train station when I saw an old woman over 60 years old pushing a mobile cart and selling ikan lekor. It was a "one woman" show. She cooks, packs, collects money while pushing the cart to places where she can find more customers. A young man placed an order and while waiting for her to fry the ikan lekor, it started to rain and it rained heavily. The sky just suddenly opened and poured huge buckets of water down from heaven. She pushed the cart and by the look of it, it was quite heavy, to the nearby shop corridor and continues with her frying. The incident strikes me to the heart. We do complain sometimes about life giving us a rough deal but there are others out there who are very much worse off than us. I looked at this old woman and thought: that's how some people need to do to make a living. Seems to me she took the rain as part of the job if you know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment